Raw Feeding Made Easy & Affordable - Now up to 30% OFF
Home / Can Dogs Eat (Healthy, Unhealthy and Poisonous Food; Best and Worst) / Can Dogs Eat Twizzlers? (Healthy, Good, Bad or Toxic)

Can Dogs Eat Twizzlers? (Healthy, Good, Bad or Toxic)

Can Dogs Eat Twizzlers?

Can Dogs Eat Twizzlers?

Who doesn’t love the chewy red licorice known by the brand name Twizzlers? For any dog owner who loves Twizzlers or has kids who do, the question of whether dogs can eat Twizzlers is bound to come up at some point. Very few kids will turn down Twizzlers and since dogs will eat or try to eat just about anything that kids eat or drop on the ground, chances are your dog will consume some of these chewy red goodies in their lifetime. So yes, dogs can eat Twizzlers. Read on to find out whether or not dogs SHOULD eat Twizzlers and what can happen if they do.

Are Twizzlers Bad for Dogs?

Although we don’t have any documented cases of dogs dying from eating Twizzlers, is it healthy for your dog to chew on this delightful goodness or are Twizzlers bad for dogs? Unfortunately, this is not necessarily one of those cut and dried answers. Twizzlers, like any other candy, contain a high amount of sugar and preservatives. Neither of these is healthy for dogs in large amounts or on a regular basis. Too much sugar over time can cause problems for your dog, including diabetes, dental issues, and obesity.

Get healthy dog food sent direct to your door from just $1 a day with Naked Dog.

Some types of candy, sweets, gum, and other goodies an include an ingredient called Xylitol, a sugar alcohol. This can be very toxic for dogs. Xylitol has been known to cause blood sugar to drop in dogs. It can cause a host of problems including liver failure, seizure, and in extreme cases, even death.

How Much Twizzlers Can Dogs Eat?

The first thing to do if you plan to buy and eat any type of candy for yourself is to check the package for the ingredient Xylitol. If this is listed as one of the ingredients, you’ll need to keep your candy up and out of reach of your dog. Always check the ingredient list yourself for any candy you buy. You can also check reference websites like Preventative Vet for products that are known to contain xylitol.

If your dog eats an occasional piece or two of Twizzlers as a bonding experience with you or because you can’t resist his begging, it will likely be harmless. But avoid giving Twizzlers to your dog as a daily treat because of the problems that result from too much sugar. Do your due diligence to prevent problems and keep the package put up and out of reach of your dog.

What If My Dog Eats a Lot of Twizzlers?

Twizzlers are not known to contain xylitol so the danger with Twizzlers is the sugar and preservatives. For products that do contain xylitol, even a little bit can be toxic for your dog. If you suspect your dog has ingested xylitol or another known toxic substance, contact Pet Poison Control at 1-888-426-4435 or seek veterinary assistance as soon as possible.

If your dog eats a lot of Twizzlers at once, observe them carefully for any symptoms of distress. There have been several documented incidents where a dog consumed an entire package of Twizzlers and experienced symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea. Don’t be afraid to seek help from your vet if needed.