Many people love roses and it’s not unusual to have them in your garden. It’s not unheard of for cats to run and play in the garden, they love all the smells and bugs there. They also love to climb, chew, and explore on anything new in their world. If you have an indoor cat and your spouse gets you long stemmed roses, you may catch your cat batting them around and mouthing them. At times like this you may wonder, can cats eat roses? The short answer is they can eat the rose petals although it’s probably not the best idea.
Will Roses Harm Cats?
The good news is that for cats, roses are not toxic which means eating the actual rose petals isn’t life threatening for cats. Keep in mind that most rose bushes however do have thorns and leaves. These thorns can harm cats in several ways. If your cat tries to eat the leaves of a rose bush and eats too much, this can cause some stomach distress. Eating thorns can even be problem as it could be harmful to your cat’s mouth and also obstruct or even perforate the bowel. Those tiny thorns can also get wedged up into your cat’s paws and cause some big issues too.
How Much Roses Can Cats Eat?
When it comes to roses, it’s the leaves and thorns, not the petals that can cause cats the most trouble. While eating more than a couple rose petals may make your cats vomit and otherwise feel sick, accidentally ingesting a thorn can cause serious problems. So, it’s better to keep your cat away from those roses whenever possible.
Are There Other Flowers Poisonous to Cats?
Although cats can eat roses without significant issues, it’s best to keep them out of reach. But if you have a cat and are going to have a garden, there’s a whole host of flowers that are poisonous to cats. Make sure none of these are in your garden or it could prove fatal for you cat:
- English Ivy
- Tulip bulbs
- Peace Lily
What if My Cat Eats Roses or Another Poisonous Plant?
There are in fact many plants and flowers, like roses that can be irritating to your cat. If you suspect your cat has eaten roses or another poisonous plant, you need to observe your cat carefully. Watch for signs of gastrointestinal upset such as inflammation, redness, or swelling of the mouth. If you observe signs of a more serious nature such as difficulty breathing, drooling, diarrhea, vomiting, or change in heartbeat, seek immediate assistance from your veterinarian.
To prepare your cat for a vet visit, remove any type of plant matter from their skin or hair, even wash them with warm water and dish soap if you feel they rolled in it. Identify the plant or take it with you. If your cat vomits, collect it in a plastic bag and take it with you to the vet. In the United States you can call the Pet Poison Helpline at 1 (855) 213-6680 to get additional information.